Let’s face it: when it comes to buying off-road capable wheels, Fuel Wheels is one of the most attractive brands in the market. The company has been in business since 2009 when it was incepted as an off-shoot of the famed MHT Luxury Alloys Company. Their numerous models sell in solid numbers all through the year and very few companies come close to their quality.
Or do they? How about Method Wheels? This too is an American company established in 2010. It also has several top-tier models and a wide fanbase. How do its products and its off-roading match up against Fuel rims?
There are several such comparisons available on the Net, but many are severely biased. Read on for a comprehensive review and an unbiased opinion.
Fuel vs Method Wheels: The clash of the Titans
Instead of the traditional format of face-offs, we will take a slightly different approach and use a set of circumstances to determine each company’s caliber. Note that this face-off is just between the companies. Individual model differentiation is an altogether different exercise.
Pros and cons of Fuel Wheels
Fuel Wheels is universally regarded as one of the finest in the global market. As a brand and manufacturer of repute, it has some advantages and disadvantages. They are the following.
Of the numerous advantages the most essential ones are the following:
- Excellent styling and modern designs. Fuel is widely recognized for its rim aesthetics.
- Models are available in both 1 and 2-piece wheels. This ensures that more people get the advantage of choosing their models. Dual options are also available, and they are really good.
- Each wheel has a warranty of a year. This is not just restricted to Fuel Wheels– it is gradually becoming an industry standard.
- Color options and customization are above-par. Fuel off-road wheels pride themselves on being able to fit any vehicle plying in the United States. In fact, this sheer range of products and styles, across categories, is phenomenal. This has not been lost on the end-users as well.
Notable drawbacks include:
- The rims can be very expensive when compared to similar brands.
- There have been some complaints that valve stem replacements are often more tedious than they should be.
- A few rims have failed to match up to the general high standards of Fuel Wheels.
Pros and cons of Method Wheels
Like every other brand, Method rims have certain great aspects while some facets could do with a makeover. Scroll down as we look at the pros and cons.
- One of the top-tier companies when it comes to styling, powder-coating or painting, and general aesthetics. One area where Method’s products score slightly higher than Fuel rims is their added aggression level, something that has appealed to several racers worldwide.
- These rims tend to be somewhat lighter when compared to Fuel Wheels. However, their durability element is par excellence.
- A wide variety of models are available in both 1 and 2-piece formats. This is a common element to both these great companies.
- High-quality aluminum is used in their forging process, placing their rims on the same pedestal as Fuel’s products.
- These wheels are racetrack-tested, again very similar to Fuel. Method Wheels has made several racers household names!
- There is no end to the problem of replacement bolts. Method Wheels lacks the supply chain network that Fuel has. This is a major turn-off.
- Unlike Fuel, this company does not have a very vocal or active worldwide user community. This can be another dealbreaker with some fastidious users. Racing and off-roading, are, after all, both passions and pursuits.
This is the moment of truth. Before declaring any of these two brands better than the other, we must have a look at the subjective tastes of the customers. There is a generalized idea that adventure-seekers tend to go for Fuel Wheels while those seeking style over functionality opts for Method.
That might be true, but only to a limited extent. Most of your user experience with custom-built wheels will be the type of model you are using in both cars and rims, the fit of the rim in question, your driving pattern, and a plethora of options.
However, we cannot just end on a diplomatic note, can we? If you are trying to get the hard and fast performance of Fuel but are a bit short on budget, feel free to select Method Wheels! Their products are on the same verge as the Fuel ones, but the price is something which cannot be wished away.
If you are a die-hard fan of Fuel Wheels and budgetary constraints are not a concern, what’s stopping you? Get a set of Fuel Wheels today!
A small tip: always buy a full set of identical models. Mixing old and new rims is hazardous and must be avoided.