Ammonia is said to have harsh effects on our hair. And we have noticed it at some point in time or the other. We have undergone hair colouring and we have seen our tresses lose sheen, thereby becoming frizzy and brittle. This is what hair colours with ammonia do to your hair. Ammonia is a harsh chemical for the scalp that dries out and damages your hair. Through colour, it makes your hair more dry.
But nowadays, when it comes to hair colouring, ammonia-free is the term that we hear every now and then. Ammonia-free hair colours are not harsh on hair. They do not dry out your hair. Ammonia-free hair dyes are infused with natural ingredients that tame your frizzy hair and nourish it from root to tip. The formula of these hair dyes has essential oils that deposit colour into your hair. Godrej Expert Rich Crème is an ammonia-free hair dye that conditions your hair and adds colour to it.
It is essential to note that ammonia adds vibrance to your hair colours but also makes them weak and dry. But if you use ammonia-free hair colours, then along with vibrant hair colour, you get conditioned hair. There are three kinds of hair dyes, i.e., permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary hair dyes. Temporary hair dyes are for the ones who wish to experiment with new colours after every 3-4 weeks. Semi-permanent and permanent hair dyes last for a longer duration of time. Now let us look at the top benefits of ammonia-free hair colours.
- Ammonia-free hair colours are organic and are safe for your hair. It does not damage your hair in any way.
- Ammonia-free hair dyes are odour-free. They do not have a pungent smell and are less harmful to your hair. These hair dyes make your hair softer and shinier, even after colouring. Thus, you get odour-free, vibrant shades with ammonia-free hair dyes.
- Ammonia-free hair dyes have monoethanolamine (MEA), i.e., it contains alcohol that adjusts the pH of your hair. MEA is used with essential emollients that make your hair less damaging.
- With ammonia-free hair dyes, there is no need to worry about your hair. Ammonia damages your hair texture, but this is not the case with ammonia-free hair dyes.
- Ammonia-free hair colours provide protection to your hair from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
So, these are some of the benefits of ammonia-free hair dyes. Ammonia is a harsh chemical and whether you colour your hair at home or the salon, you must use ammonia-free hair dyes. Nowadays, hairstylists have started using these hair dyes to minimize damage and fix all your hair problems. But you must remember that before colouring you must ask your stylist to use ammonia-free hair dyes.
There are instances wherein, a particular colour is not available for you. So, the stylist uses colours infused with ammonia. Such hair colours swell up your hair follicles and further damage them. Thus, if a particular colour is not available at that time, you must wait for the colour to be back in stock rather than damaging your hair unnecessarily.
Also, as per Ayurveda, the hair colours infused with ammonia can cause aggravation in your Vata and Pitta doshas. This can lead to various hair problems and even worsen them. But if one uses ammonia-free hair dyes, the scalp will not itch and all the hair issues will be fixed. Ammonia-free hair dyes have alkaline compounds that are not capable of moving in the hair follicles and damaging them. Ammonia-free hair colours are gentle on your hair. Now that we know the benefits of ammonia-free hair colours, let us look at the ancient herbs that are infused in these dyes to benefit your hair.
Ancient Herbs in Ammonia-Free Hair Colours
Ammonia-free hair colours are infused with natural ingredients that benefit your hair. Below are the herbs that are used in these dyes. You can also use these dyes single-handedly to add colour to your hair. So, let us see the ancient herbs and how to use them.
Also known as henna, this ancient herb was highly used and is still used by people to add colour to their hair. This herb is known to condition your hair from root to tip while adding lustre to it. The best part about henna is that the longer it stays in your hair, the richer and deeper shade you get. Here is how you use it.
- Create a thick paste by adding tea or coffee decoction to 100 grams of henna powder in a bowl. Mix as per your hair length.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the paste. Further, add an egg white because it is known for its keratin and conditioning properties.
- Let the paste soak overnight. The next morning, apply the paste and leave it for 2-3 hours in your hair.
- Wash your hair with normal water afterward. You can also use a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner.
Amla is best for balancing all the doshas in your system. It helps in boosting hair growth and prevents various scalp infections caused by pathogens. It also helps in resolving hair issues like dandruff, premature greying, hair loss, etc. Here is how you can use it.
- Take an iron pan and add 100 grams of dried amla to it. Put the pan on medium flame and let the amla roast.
- Roast until they turn black. Further, add a glass of water into the pan and let the amla boil for 10-15 minutes on high flame.
- Turn off the stove and let the amla remain in the pan overnight.
- The next morning, grind all the amlas and create a paste from it.
- Apply this paste to your hair and wash your hair after 2 hours. [This process can be repeated on alternate days. You will see visible results after 2-3 washes.]
Indigo was grown in India and was used by women for colouring their hair. Indigo is known to calm Vata and Kapha doshas. The leaves of this plant have immense benefits for the hair. Here is how you use it.
- Mix the indigo powder with warm water in a bowl as per your hair length.
- Apply the paste liberally on your hair using gloves.
- Leave your hair for at least 1-2 hours. Wash it afterward with normal water and then with a sulphate-free shampoo.
So, these are the three ancient herbs that you can either use separately or use the dyes infused with them. These herbs benefit your hair and make them soft, conditioned, and nourished. These dyes were earlier used for covering grey hair. But now they are included in ammonia-free hair colours to give the perfect hair colour that you desire. You can use Godrej Expert Rich Crème which is a 100% natural hair dye infused with Amla, Reetha, Vitamin E, etc., to give your hair the rich look it deserves. Try out the five vibrant shades and give your hair colour and nourishment.