With the legalization of medical marijuana across a number of states, there have been continuous increases in the recommendation of cannabis for treatment of symptoms and some chronic medical conditions. Moreover, the research reports conclude that medical cannabis products are much safer than pharmaceutical products as they significantly do not have any side-effects. The medical benefits of cannabis and related products are not only limited to a human being but with continuous study and experiments, the experts have found evidence that cannabis products such as CBD oils can be used on pets especially dogs to help treat various medical conditions.
What is CBD oil?
The CBD oil is extracted from the flowers and leaves of the hemp plant and the industrial hemp strain is used for deriving cannabis product as they naturally have lesser THC content and higher CBD content. THC is thechemical component present in cannabis which is responsible for triggering high or hallucination. However, while manufacturing of CBD oil it is ensured that it will have minimal THC content. Most of the CBD oil before making available for the public is tested for the quality and the manufacturing company generally puts the composition and ingredient of the product on the packaging providing the consumer with a clear idea about concentration either in terms of mg or in percentage.
Below is the list of benefits CBD oil offers to animals
- It can treat pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as help to control
- CBD holds the anti-inflammatory properties which are used for cardiac benefits, anti-nausea effects, appetite stimulation, and anti-anxiety impact on animals.
Further studies are conducted by experts to states whether CBD oil can be used in the treatment of epileptic dogs.
How Does CBD Affect Dogs?
There have been some limited researches on cannabis and pets. Scientist claims that cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoids receptor of the dog which is located in the central and peripheral nervous system which helpsmaintains the balance in the body. CBD affects the dog’s body the same as the human being and therefore there are high chances it can provide a plethora of benefits to certain animals.
There are no scientific evidence which conclude side-effects of CBD oil on animals, but below are the list of possible cases stated by pet owners
- CBD can decrease the production of saliva and therefore manifest as an increased thirst. Hence, dry mouth can be an after effect of providing your pet with CBD oil.
- High dose of CBD oil can lead to a temporary drop in blood pressure. However, inmost of the cases, a smaller and controlled dosage of CBD is recommended and only under severe medical conditions, experts recommend higher dosage.
- Some of the dog owners have used CBD oil to treat anxiety. However, the calming effect of CBD can cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
The pet owners must carry out extensive research or should consult some expert before treating their pets with CBD oils. Moreover, most people are confused between CBD and hemp oil since they are derived from the same plant but different parts. The properties and behavior of both oils are quite different and therefore one should learn the difference between CBD vs hemp oil.