While there are many things in life to be concerned with allergies should not be one of them. If you’re an allergy sufferer these tips should be useful to you so you can live a happier and healthier life. Here are 10 tips to help you cope with allergies and in some cases improve your environment by removing those things that can cause a reaction.
1) If you have tried a lot of different solutions and still have allergy symptoms then it is time to seek the advice of a doctor or allergist. There are a wide range of allergy medications out there, and an allergy specialist can match your symptoms with the proper medication. Your doctor can also point out other remedies that you may not have thought of.
2) For safety’s sake remember to use any over-the-counter antihistamine when you are safely at home. Many of these products are notorious for causing a sudden onset of sleepiness or impairment. It’s always a good idea to try the medication out in a safe environment once or twice before you use it on the go. Although the label may not include any warnings you don’t want to find out that you react poorly to it while you’re driving, so be safe and try it in a controlled environment the first time.
3) Allergists can perform skin tests to determine which allergens are likely to produce symptoms. However, test results may not necessarily tell how severe the allergy is. Sometimes allergy symptoms are so mild that they are unnoticeable and cause no discomfort. A doctor or allergist can help you determine what things can cause you problems even if you aren’t seeing any strong symptoms yet.
4) Think about reducing or completely getting rid of your carpeting. Carpet can be a breeding ground for allergens like dust mites and pet dander. Tile, laminate or wood floors can be considered to replace wall-to-wall carpet. That will create a major difference in the number of allergens you breathe in every day. If you are unable to make this change, you should at least a vacuum a couple times a week and make sure you have a vacuum with a hepa filter for an allergen free home.
5) Clean your bathroom. Bathrooms attract and collect mold so they need a good scrubbing at least once weekly. Use bleach mixture to wipe down all of the walls. This also stops new mold from growing, which could make your allergies even worse. And if you have one make sure you run the fan whenever you are in the shower so it can push the warm air outdoors.
6) On a similar note most people assume that using a humidifier is good for allergy sufferers but this might not be the best decision. The reason is because all of the mist can cause mold around the area where the humidifier is located. Make sure you have ample ventilation and airflow around your home if you decide to use one. The air is especially dry during the winter so running one then will definitely help.
7) If your child suffers from food allergies and you will be traveling it would be wise to bring foods that you know are safe for your child. You may find it hard to find ingredient lists for some food items, thereby increasing the danger that an allergic reaction to dairy, nuts or other triggers may occur.
8) Many homeowners like to put a lot of flowering trees and bushes around their yard but there’s one big problem with this: They produce an abundance of pollen and they can produce it pretty much the entire year. One thing you can do during especially dry times of the year is to soak the tree or bush with water. This will reduce the pollen significantly so it doesn’t end up on your body.
9) If possible, avoid using styling products on your hair during peak allergy season. If you spend a lot of time outdoors your hair can be full of pollen and allergens. Styling products are often pollen magnets which will make them collect on the hairs and ultimately end up in your body.
10) If you discover pests like rodents or insects around the perimeter of your home make arrangements for professional extermination as soon as possible. You can find yourself allergic from rodent and cockroach droppings. Hire an exterminator to remove these problems before you start to see symptoms.
You have to keep trying the various allergy relief methods until you find the right one for you. It may be as simple as eliminating something around your home or seeing your doctor for testing/medication. In addition to the standard pill medications, your doctor also has many other forms of medication to treat allergy symptoms. You can find things like saline sprays over-the-counter, nasal steroids, leukotriene blockers or allergy eye drops that can help you find allergy relief.
Hopefully this list has provided some ideas to help you tackle your allergy problems and get the relief you desire. In our modern times there is no reason that allergies should slow anyone down at all. You should be able to enjoy life as much as you can without worrying about having an adverse reaction to something in the environment. Its time to master your allergies and reclaim your life!